FUE Hair Transplant Technique (Follicular Unit Extraction)
FUE and FUT (Strip) comprise the 2 techniques of Follicular Unit Hair Transplantation and their only technical difference lies in the way of the follicular units΄ harvesting.
More specifically: FUE hair transplant technique involves the one by one extraction of follicular units from the donor area, while in FUT (Strip) follicular units are harvested through single strip harvesting and stereo-microscopic dissection. Then, the follicular units΄s placement is identical for the 2 methods.
FUE is therefore implemented through the extraction of follicular units from the back and sides of the scalp and their reimplantation to the area affected by hair loss.
It can reproduce natural hair growth, as transplanted hair regrows in its natural occurring groups of 1-4 hairs. When implemented by physicians with high surgical skills & highly developed aesthetic perception, FUE can accomplish refined & undetectable aesthetic results.
FUE has eliminated the need for a linear incision and allows hair transplant doctors to perform Follicular Unit Hair Transplantation through single & direct harvesting of the follicular units.
FUE process involves a circular incision (of 0.7mm-0.8mm diameter) around each follicular unit, the extraction of the follicular unit and its implantation to the balding area of the scalp. Very fine holes are left at the donor area. FUE method enables physicians to harvest individual follicular units, while ensuring the minimum of peripheral damage.
Basic Information about FUE
• FUE can be implemented to men & women with Male or Female Pattern Baldness (Androgenetic Alopecia)
• Mega FUE sessions (more than 1.500 follicular units) may have to be completed in 2 subsequent days (this is usually defined after your personal consultation & examination by the doctor, as it depends on personal parameters)
• The doctor can exploit the back & the sides of the scalp for donor supply
• FUE is less invasive than FUT (Strip), due to absence of linear incision and thus is associated with a smoother postoperative course (the donor area requires a shorter healing period and it is left to heal by second intention)
• FUE is usually preferred by people who tend to keep their hair very short (less than 1cm long)
• FUE is ideal for hairlines, temples, sides, eyebrows & scar repairs
• The presence of imperceptible small white spots allows quite short haircuts, but in cases of extensive extraction of follicular units scars may be fairly noticeable
• FUE is a time-consuming method and for the same number of follicular units it requires more sessions than FUT (Strip) (thus, It is more expensive as price/follicular unit)
• There are specific preconditions for being an FUE candidate (limited donor supply, limited scalp laxity – very tight scalp, skin that tends to heal with scarring etc)
• FUE is usually preferred when a small number of grafts are needed. Larger balding or thinning areas can also be covered with FUE technique but the candidate should have a bigger than average donor density
• FUE is also preferred when someone has undergone several previous hair transplant surgeries and is no longer able to undergone one more FUT (Strip) procedure
• Due to the ability of selecting for extraction 2-hair, 3-hair of 4-hair follicular units, the doctor is able to provide a great number of hair from a certain number of follicular units
• BERGMANN KORD΄s doctors are able to perform a combination of FUE and FUT (Strip) method, which beyond all increases the number of the follicular units without increasing the size of the strip
• FUE transection rates are significant higher than those in FUT (Strip) procedures and therefore a lower than FUT (Strip) yield rate can be achieved (due to the lack of ultimate control during the extraction of the follicular units. The doctor΄s skills and experience are of major importance in order to minimize any possible damage and maintain the follicular units intact in order to ensure their viability)
• Patients who consider undergoing an FUE procedure should be first examined and tested. The test allows doctors draw safe results, as it ascertains whether the patient΄s follicular units are able to remain intact and integral during the extraction
Our medical team
The FUE hair transplant procedure is implemented by BERGMANN KORD΄s medical team, which is comprised of the hair transplant doctor, 2 assistant doctors, an anaesthesiologist and a 4-membered specialized medical staff. It is therefore a necessity both the harmonic collaboration and flawless coordination between the members of the medical team.
Length of the FUE procedure
Due to the particular way of follicular units΄s harvesting, the FUE procedure lasts many hours but time goes by pleasantly as you can watch TV or have a conversation with the medical team or simply relax. During the procedure there are intervals and after the end of the procedure you return home.
The return to usual activities
In a few days after the hair transplant you can take up again your usual activities. There are even cases –depending on the type of the profession- where some patients return to work even on the day following the procedure. The doctor informs personally each patient and provides particular instructions according to his profession and activities.
FUE implementation has offered our hair transplant physicians a series of improvements in their hair transplant procedures:
– Painless procedure: Once anaesthetics are administered, the hair transplant procedure is painless and accompanied by a smooth post-operative course. Although, in former years, patients might have experienced slight pain during a hair transplant surgery, nowadays all hair transplant procedures are virtually painless. Practically, the post-operative course is also painless and any possible annoyance can be treated with common painkillers.
– Individualized treatment: Through the evaluation of the patient΄s potential & objectives, our doctors schedule his or her Personalized Hair Transplantation Plan (PHTP), aiming at performing a hair transplantation that is highly fitted to the patient΄s profile.
– Absence of post-operative forehead swelling: Although hair transplant patients had experienced post-operative forehead swelling in previous years, nowadays we rarely observe forehead swelling and most of the times it appears due to non accurate observance of the post-operative instructions.
FUE Description | Steps of FUE Method
Our doctors establish a Personalised Hair Transplantation Plan (PHTP) for each patient in order to ensure that new hair will fit ideally to the patient’s profile. One of our main priorities is to fully exploit the donor area and also preserve donor supply for possible future needs.
Preparation of the donor area
After the patient is hair washed, we shave the donor area, either totally either through zones. This is an absolutely necessary step, which will allow the doctor to distinguish the direction of the follicular units during the extraction.
The Donor Area is marked
We mark the boundaries of the donor area that will be exploited.
Local Anesthesia at the Donor Area
FUE is a virtually painless procedure. The patient is administered conscious sedation by the anesthesiologist, so as to feel no pain and also remain calm and not stressful during the long-lasting procedure.
Extraction of the Follicular Units
This is the most demanding stage of the procedure, since the proper removal of the follicular units will define the result. Some extra difficulties come up due to the position of the patient, who is lying in prone position during the extraction.
With a surgical punch of 0.7mm – 0.8mm diameter, the doctor extracts one by one the follicular units, which are surrounded by sebaceous glands, muscles, nerves and connective tissue. The experienced & well-versed doctor is able to remove the follicular units intact and thus realize a higher yielding rate, while he tries to select multi-hair follicular units (each follicular unit usually contains 1-4 hairs).
Excessive exploitation of the donor area should be avoided to patients who are vulnerable to scarring, in order not to lead to detectable scarring.
Then, the donor area sites are left to heal by second intention.
Follicular Units΄ Preservation & Process
The extracted follicular units are then preserved in physiological saline solution (due to the fact that they are very susceptible to dehydration) at a low temperature and they are being processed under the microscope with great caution (due to the fact that they are very susceptible to damage) by the specialized technicians & nurses.
The extracted follicular units are being processed in order to be appropriate for implanting.
The process of the follicular units involves:
• The removal of excessive tissue that surrounds the unit
• Their assortment according to the number of hairs contained
The Recipient Area is marked & designed
By taking into consideration the rules of the facial proportions and the existing physiognomy of the patient, we mark & design the recipient area. Particular attention is paid on the creation of a natural hairline -if needed.
Local Anesthesia at the Recipient Area
The anesthesiologist implements local anesthesia at the recipient area.
Recipient sites creation
Under magnification and by using 21G-20G needles, the doctor creates the recipient sites at the balding area of the scalp. Specific standards are followed regarding their distribution, size & direction. In order to mimic the natural hair growth and ensure maximum density, the recipient sites should be as small as possible & closely situated.
Follicular Units Placement
The placement of the follicular units is performed through specialized implanters, which perfectly fit to the size & shape of each follicular unit in order to protect it from traumatism.
The follicular units are placed into the incisions with great attention and during this process the doctor observes all the basic principles of a flawless placement:
· The follicular units are placed at the proper angle & direction, as the doctor takes into consideration the growth conditions of the recipient area
· Single follicular units create a natural & refined hairline
· 2-hair follicular units are placed exactly behind the single follicular units and 3-hair & 4-hair follicular units are placed at the central area of the scalp, as well as at the crown
- Hairline design & creation
The nature of FUE technique facilitates the hairline’s creation. Age, facial characteristics, facial symmetry & style are parameters that are carefully assessed during the hairline design. Single follicular units are placed at the recipients sites of the hairline, in order to mimic natural hair growth. The hairline doesn΄t follow any linear model but gives the sense of being asymmetrical and incidental.
Specific skills and aesthetic perception are therefore required by the doctor for the design and creation of the hairline, in order to be as suitable as possible to the patient΄s profile.
- Frontal area of the scalp (Bregmatic area)
The frontal area of the scalp contributes to achieving a refined hair transplant result and the doctor strives to achieve the highest possible level of hair density.
Crown balding is quite usual in men, with its coverage being a demanding process that requires not only adequate donor supply but also further skills by the physician.
Examination of the Recipient Area
After the placement of the follicular units, the doctor examines the recipient area to make sure that all the follicular units are properly placed into the sites.
Postoperative examination | 24h medical care
With the end of the procedure, the doctor examines the donor and the recipient area and provides you with all the necessary postoperative instructions before you return home. The next day you should have your first hair wash at our clinic. The following days you can either visit BERGMANN KORD for your daily hair wash or wash your hair at home according to the instructions.
Please note that in the days following your procedure, BERGMANN KORD will be by your side, providing you with round-the-clock medical care.
FUT (Strip) of FUE? Which technique is the best choise for a hair transplant candidate?
During the review of each patient case, the doctor takes into consideration a series of parameters in order to decide which hair transplant technique is more appropriate for a candidate, and even if a combination of both techniques is needed in order to achieve the desirable result.
BERGMANN KORD΄ medical teams comprise of outstanding hair transplant surgeons and each one of them is specialized and highly experienced only in FUE or only in FUT (Strip), in order to be able to provide high quality surgery in hair transplants.